You may have tasted bread pudding or would have heard different tales about it. While it is considered that a bread that is made with leftovers and is inexpensive, can also be seen in fancy restaurants. Bread pudding is an excellent old-fashioned dessert and a fantastic means to use bread.
What gives more relaxation than a pudding that is the perfect treat to your taste buds? If otherwise you have several other dishes racing in your mind, you will still start loving pudding, even the humblest one in the category, once you know the ease in preparing and the health benefits. Though there are various contenders to pudding, we bring to you the bread pudding which is has a unique charm.
Bread pudding – the underrated dish
These homely, creamy desserts that have all that it takes to be a rich dessert are underrated. That said, when you start exploring different varieties of pudding, you will be happy that you learned about bread pudding.
In order to get the best of the pudding, you have to pick the right loaf. This goes a long way in determining the style of your pudding. There is a lot of pudding, and you can make them easily by using your creativity too ((https://carolinarice.com/cooking/how-to-make-the-perfect-rice-pudding/). The bread pudding needn’t be as simple as it is hyped; you can add richness to it. Why not insert fresh fruits including apples between slices of buttered bread? Or why don’t you add tiny pieces of ginger to the bread in the pan? Or why don’t you zest your lemon and add that splash of flavour to the custard? The key is that bread pudding can be made rich by adding different flavors to it.
Recipes of bread pudding
Gone are the days when people underestimated bread pudding because it is prepared with leftover bread. But now there is a tremendous transformation in their mindsets, and they have started embracing bread pudding with love. You can make it quickly, and it is easy too. It uses only a few inexpensive ingredients that you will mostly have in your home. But the silver lining is that it is utterly delicious.
The recipes that are given below will demonstrate how leftover bread can easily be transformed into a much-liked dessert effortlessly. The best part is that there is room for personalization, and it will be so filling that you can have it for brunch. Now here we go with the recipes.
Sweet version of bread pudding
Nothing beats this sweet bread pudding for its simplicity!
- Take a baking dish.
- This enhanced version of French toast is made rich by pouring a sweetened blend of milk and eggs over leftover bread.
- The two are baked jointly until it gets the quality of a pudding. Yes that rich and creamy flavor to it!
- The top portion gets golden color and is highly crunchy.
- The key is in preparing the best custard and pouring it over the best bread.
Savory version of bread pudding
On a busy day, we all want to make the perfect pudding with less ingredients.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and watch until it turns golden brown.
- If you want that sour taste, add crushed garlic.
- Observe it cooking for 3 mins.
- Add green chillies and tomatoes and wait until it becomes soft.
- To give a refreshing touch to the recipe, add spinach leaves. Cook for 3 mins.
- Add the needed salt. Pepper is optional.
- Let it cool for 20 mins
- Stir eggs and milk in a combined manner.
- Add the needed salt and 2tbsp of grated cheese
- Blend together
- Add this mixture to the cubed bread slices
- The bread cubes should be covered immensely with the egg-milk mixture.
- Soak it for 20 mins.
- Mix the cooked vegetables to the blend of bread, milk, and egg.
- In a baking oven, add this mixture.
- Bake in the oven for over 45 mins.
How to serve the bread pudding?
A plethora of sauces or garnishes will give the much-needed accompaniment to whatever type of bread pudding. If you don’t like chocolate, you can just get immersed in the taste of bread and butter pudding. The bread and butter pudding is prepared out of buttered bread, custard, and raisins.
How to prepare the bread pudding sauce?
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Whisk together the sugar, egg yolk, and water.
- Cook in medium flame until sugar is dissolved.
- Observe the mixture coming to a boiling state.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve warm with bread pudding.
Some interesting facts about bread pudding
- Milk proteins give the much-needed nutritional value to pudding.
- You can go with left-over bread or challah bread for preparing bread pudding.
- Plain white bread, whole wheat bread, gluten-free bread, and ordinary white bread can be used for preparing this pudding.
- Bread pudding can be prepared as a dessert or as a delicious side dish.
- Nowadays bread pudding has come a long way from its humble origin to being found in even contemporary restaurants.
- There is both sweet and savory versions of this delicious pudding.
- The sauce enhances the taste of bread pudding and is an excellent complement to it. You can have caramel sauce, vanilla sauce etc.
- Bread pudding can be a great holiday dessert or can be even used for brunch.
- It is not mandatory that you have to use the oven for preparing bread pudding.
Now did you notice the transformation from a humble, light pudding to a rich and delightful one?