Flax seeds are rich in soluble fibers that lower the unhealthy cholesterol and help in balancing the blood sugar levels. Since they are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, this reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack. When they are ground, they act as a versatile ingredient that can be used in rotis, paranthas, desserts, and many other dishes.
Read on to know about the recipes from flax seeds:
1 Flax Seed Raita
• Flax seeds- 3 Tbsp
• Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
• Sugar- 1 teaspoon
• Yogurt (curd)- 2 cups
• Coriander leaves- 10 leaves
• Grated bottle gourd- 2 cup
• Water- 1/2 cup
• Salt as required
• Roast the flax seeds and cumin seeds in a pan. Once it cools down, grind them into a fine powder.
• Heat another pan and add grated bottle gourd with 1/2 cup water to it. Cook for 6-7 minutes so that the water evaporates. Let it cool.
• Take a bowl and beat the yogurt until it is smooth.
• Add the flax and cumin seed powder, sugar, and salt to the yogurt and mix again.
• Add the cooked bottle gourd and gently mix the mixture.
• Refrigerate the raita and then garnish it with coriander leaves and serve chilled.
2 Flaxseed Dosa
• Leftover dosa batter- 1 cup
• Roasted Peanuts- 2 Tbsp
• Ginger piece- 1 inch
• Flax seeds- 1 Tsp
• Cumin seeds- 1/2 Tsp
• Green Chili- 1
• Garlic cloves- 4
• Salt as required
• Roast the flax seeds in a pan.
• Take a mixer grinder and add flax seeds, peanuts, cumin seeds, garlic cloves, ginger, and chili with little water to make a smooth paste.
• Take the leftover dosa batter and the flax seed paste.
• Add salt as required and mix till it bends when.
• Leave the batter for 15 minutes.
• Pour the batter in a tawa and make a dosa.
• Serve the dosa with hot sambhar.
3 Flax Seed Brownie
• Flaxseeds Bars- 1 Cup
• Jaggery- 1 Cup
• Sesame Seeds- ½ Cup
• Almonds for garnishing (optional)
• Water- 2-3 Tbsp
• Dry roast flax seeds and sesame seeds. Let it cool.
• Grind the seeds together.
• Take a pan and add jaggery with three tablespoons of water.
• Cook for 5 minutes and boil till the syrup becomes thick.
• Add the mixture of flaxseeds and sesame seeds and mix well till forms a consistency like dough.
• Transfer the mixture on the wax paper greased with coconut oil.
• Spread the mixture using a spoon and garnish with sliced almonds
• Cut into diamond shape bars using a knife and cool for 30 minutes.
4 FlaxSeed and Edible Gum Sweet Balls
• Flaxseeds- 1 cup
• Wheat flour- 1 cup
• Edible gum- 2 Tbsp
• Jaggery (powdered)- 3/4 cup
• Ghee (as per need)- 4 Tbsp
• Take a pan and dry roast the flax seeds. Keep it aside.
• Next, dry roast the wheat flour until a nice aroma comes.
• Take another pan and add one teaspoon of ghee to fry the edible gum.
• Take all the ingredients along with the powdered jaggery and grind them.
• Take a plate and transfer the mixture. Add the heated ghee to the powder to make a ball.
• Serve them.
5 Flax Seed Idli Podi
• Flax seeds- 1/2 cup
• Urad dal- 1/2 cup
• Red chilies- 15
• Channa dal- 1/4 cup
• Cumin seeds- 2 tbsp
• Hing- 1/4 tsp
• Curry leaves- 3 sprigs
• Salt to taste
• Dry roast the urad dal, flax seeds, and channa dal separately for three minutes.
• Add the curry leaves and roast.
• Add the red chilies and roast for two minutes. Add a tsp of oil to prevent the red chilies from burning.
• Add the cumin seeds and roast for one minute.
• Let all the roasted ingredients cool.
• Take the red chilies in a blender and blend to make a fine powder.
• Add the rest of the ingredients with salt and hing and blend till it becomes a coarse powder.
• Cool down the podi and then transfer to a jar to store.
6 Coconut Flax Seed Coffee Cake
• Egg- 1
• Milk- 2 tbsp
• Flaxseed powder- 2 tbsp
• Grated fresh coconut- 2 tbsp
• Coffee powder- 1 Tsp
• Cinnamon powder- 1/4 tsp
• Nutmeg powder- 1 pinch
• Baking powder- 1/4 tsp
• Sodium bicarbonate- 1/4 Tsp
• Nijella seed raw honey- 1 Tsp
• Chopped walnut-1
• Chopped cashew nut- 3
• Extra virgin coconut oil- 2 tbsp
• Mix all the dry ingredients.
• Beat the egg and milk together.
• Combine both dry and wet ingredients and fold gently.
• Add honey and nuts to it.
• Transfer into safe microwave mug and set three minutes and cook.
7 Flax Seed Butter
• Flax Seeds- 100 gms
• Sugar- 2 to 3 Tbsp
• Coconut oil- 1/3 cup
• Salt- 1 pinch
• Dry roast flax seeds in a pan till it is fragrant. Let it cool down.
• Grind the flax seeds to make a coarse powder.
• Add the salt and sugar and run the mixer again.
• Add 1/4 cup oil in a food processor and process till it becomes together in a mass.
• Add the remaining oil and grind till the butter becomes a smooth paste.
• The Flaxseed butter is ready.
8 Flaxseed and Cranberry Muffins
• Roasted Red Rice Flour – 3/4 cup
• Wheat Flour/ Atta- 3/4 cup
• Baking Powder- 1 Tsp
• Ground Flax Seeds- 1/2 cup
• Dark Brown Sugar- 1/2 cup
• Olive Oil- 1/4 cup
• Salt- 1/4 Tsp
• Dried Cranberries- 1/2 cup
• Vanilla Essence- 1 tsp
• Soy Milk- 1 1/2 cups
• Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
• Take a bowl and mix rice flour, flax seed powder, wheat flour, salt, and baking powder.
• Make a well in the center and add soy milk, oil, and vanilla essence.
• Fold the ingredients with a spoon.
• Add the cranberries and fold.
• Divide the batter between 12 muffin moulds.
• Bake for 25-30 minutes.
• Let the muffins cool and serve warm.
9 Flax Seed Beet Fish Cutlet
• Boneless fish (King Fish) – ½ cup
• Salt – ¼ Tsp
• Ginger Garlic paste – ½ Tsp
• Pepper powder – ¼ Tsp
Ingredients to be mixed with the cooked fish:
• Grated beetroot – 2
• Boiled potato– 1
• Boiled carrot– 2-inch
• Chopped onion– 1
• Flaxseed powder– ¼ cup
• Chopped green chili– 1
• Garam masala– ½ Tsp
• Pepper powder– ½ Tsp
• Coriander leaves– a handful
• Bread crumbs– 1 tbsp
• Crumb’s powder – ¾ cup
• Corn flour powder – 1 Tbsp
• Egg– 1
• Wash the fish and add pepper, ginger garlic paste, and salt. Mix well for ten minutes.
• Add cooked fish, boiled potato, boiled carrot, and grated beetroot and mix.
• Add chopped onions, salt, pepper, garam masala, bread crumbs, green chilis, and flaxseed powder, and mix well.
• Make small and round balls.
• Take a bowl and beat the egg until it becomes fluffy.
• Take a plate and mix corn flour and bread crumbs.
• Dip the cutlet balls in the beaten egg and coat well with bread crumbs and cornflour mixture.
• Refrigerate for one hour. In a tawa, add oil and shallow fry all the cutlets.
• Serve hot with mint chutney.
10 FlaxSeed Rasam
• Flax Seeds- 2 Tablespoons
• Hing- A pinch
• Tamarind: Gooseberry size tamarind
• Curry leaves- 6 to 8
• Tomatoes- 2 Medium (optional)
• Rasam Powder- 4 Teaspoons
• Coconut-1 Tablespoon
• Mustard seeds- 1/2 Teaspoon
• Oil-1 Teaspoon
• Coriander leaves- 4 Teaspoons
• Salt to taste
• Roast flax seeds with curry leaves and hing.
• Cut the tomatoes and keep it aside.
• Grate the coconut and soak tamarind in warm water.
• Squeeze the pulp after ten minutes.
• Grind the roasted flax seeds and coconut with little water till it becomes a smooth paste.
• Add the tamarind pulp and cut tomatoes in a big pan.
• Add salt to the ground paste.
• Add turmeric powder and three glasses of water. Mix well.
• Put oil in a small pan and heat the mustard seeds.
• Add curry leaves and hing when the mustard starts to spurt.
• Add the mixture to the boiling Rasam.
• Add coriander leaves and serve with hot rice or Idli.
11 Flaxseed Smoothie
• Flaxseeds- 2 Tbsp
• Flavored soya milk- 1 cup
• Chopped strawberries- 1 cup
• Chopped bananas- 1/2 cup
• Honey- 2 Tsp
• For Garnishing:
• Strawberries- 2
• Bananas slices- 2
• Add bananas, strawberries, honey, and flaxseeds in soya milk. Blend till the mixture is smooth.
• Pour the smoothie into a glass.
• Serve garnished with a banana and strawberry slice.
12 Wheat Berry Parfait
• Wheat Berries– 1 cup
• Hung Curd– 1 1/2 cup
• Flax seeds- 1 Tbsp
• Walnuts – 3 Tbsp
• Sugar– 4 Tbsp (or to taste)
• Chopped Apples, Bananas, and Mixed berries- 1 cup
• Soak the berries overnight, tie them in a kitchen towel and leave it in a warm place until the small sprouts coming out.
• In a large pot filled with water, cook the wheat berries for half an hour.
• Mix two tablespoons of sugar with the curd.
• Drain out the water from the pan. Mix the berries with the flax seeds, sugar, and walnuts
• Take a glass and add one tablespoon of wheat berries. Add one tablespoon of curd followed by one tablespoon of fruits.
• Repeat until you reach the top.
13 Spinach and Flaxseed Parantha
• Wheat flour- 3 cups
• Spinach (chopped finely)- 1 cup
• Flax seeds- 2 Tbsp
• Cumin seeds- 1/2 Tsp
• Garam Masala powder- 1 Tsp
• Yogurt- 1 cup
• Salt to taste
• All-purpose flour for dusting.
• Grind the spinach coarsely with yogurt.
• In a bowl, mix the wheat flour, cumin seeds, garam masala powder, flax seeds, and salt in a bowl. Add the yogurt and spinach mixture and knead into a smooth dough.
• Keep it aside for half an hour.
• Roll out the chapatis and dust with all-purpose flour.
• Cook the paranthas with oil.
14 Flaxseed Porridge
• Ground flaxseed- 3 Tbsp
• Whey protein powder- 1 scoop
• Coconut oil- 1 Tsp
• Ground cinnamon- 1 teaspoon
• Boiling water- 1/2 cup
• Sugar to taste
• Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and add oil.
• Pour the boiling water and stir to reach the desired consistency.
• Sprinkle chopped nuts or berries and serve.
15 Flaxseed Pancake
• Flaxseed meal- 1 cup
• Eggs- 4
• Unsweetened almond- 1/3 cup
• Lemon juice- 1 Tsp
• Baking soda- 1 Tsp
• Vanilla extract- 1 Tsp
• Cinnamon- 1 Tsp
• Salt to taste
• Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and add sugar.
• Pour the batter on a skillet to make a pancake. Cook for 2-3 minutes until edges begin to firm. Flip and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes.
• Top with sliced fruit of syrup.
16 Flaxseed Chips
• Flaxseed Meal- 1 cup
• Garlic Powder- 2 Tsp
• Onion Powder- 2 Tsp
• Chili Powder Mix- 2 Tsp
• Water- 1/2 cup
• Mix flax meal and seasonings in a bowl.
• Add water and mix.
• Keep the dough aside for 10 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 200°C.
• Once the dough is ready, roll it out between two parchment papers.
• Place the rolled dough with parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
• Use a pizza cutter to cut into cracker sized pieces.
• Bake for 10-15 minutes.
• Cool them before storing.
17 Apple Flaxseed Muffins
• Flaxseed meal- 1 1/2 cups
• Baking powder- 2 Tsp
• Cinnamon- 1 Tbsp
• Nutmeg- 1 Tsp
• Salt- 1/2 Tsp
• Applesauce- 1/2 cup
• Eggs (beaten)- 4
• Vegetable oil- 1/4 cup
• Water- 1/4 cup
• Vanilla extract- 1 Tbsp
• Apple, chopped- 1
• Heat oven to 350 F and grease the muffin tin.
• Whisk flaxseed meal, salt, nutmeg, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl
• Add eggs, applesauce, vanilla essence, oil, water, and chopped apples.
• Keep it aside for ten minutes.
• Pour it into the muffin pan and bake for 18 minutes.
18 Flaxseed Twisty Sticks
• Flaxseed- 1/2 cup
• Flour- 1 1/2 cup
• Baking powder- 1/2 teaspoon
• Kosher salt- 1 teaspoon
• Black pepper- 1/2 teaspoon
• Onion powder- 2 teaspoons
• Garlic powder- 1 teaspoon
• Oregano- 1 teaspoon
• Low-fat milk- 1/2 cup
• Canola oil- 4 Tbsp
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees Celsius.
• Mix flaxseed, flour, salt, oregano, baking powder, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder in a bowl.
• Take a separate container and mix milk and oil.
• Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredient and mix until a dough is formed.
• Roll out between two sheets of wax paper to 9×18 inches.
• Cut into 36 pieces by cutting into two 9×9-inch sheets and cutting 18 strips out of each sheet.
• Twist each strip and place on an ungreased sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes.
• Remove and turn over each stick and bake for another ten minutes.
• Let it cool.
19 Banana Oat Flaxseed Cookie
• Ripe bananas- 2
• Gluten-free rolled oats- 1 cup
• Flaxseed meal- 1/2 cup
• Unsweetened shredded coconut- 1/4 cup
• Sliced almonds- 1/4 cup
• A pinch of salt
• Semi-sweet chocolate chips- 1/2 cup
• Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a parchment paper lined baking sheet and set aside.
• Mash the ripe bananas with a fork in a bowl. Add in the rolled oats, shredded coconut, salt, and flaxseed meal, shredded coconut, almonds, and salt.
• Add in the chocolate chips with mix together again.
• Scoop out the cookie batter and place on the baking sheet.
• Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on the outside.
20 Flaxseed Caramel
• Unsalted butter, for greasing
• Flaxseeds- 2 cups
• Heavy cream- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp
• Granulated sugar- 1 1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp
• Flaxseed oil- 1cup + 2 1/2 Tbsp
• Dark brown sugar- 1 cup
• Light corn syrup- 1 cup
• Evaporated milk- 3/4 cup
• Heat oven to 350° Celsius. Grease a baking pan and line with parchment paper.
• Mix flaxseeds and water in a bowl then spread into the parchment paper lined.
• Bake for 30 minutes.
• Transfer to a rack and let cool. Spread flaxseeds on the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Reserve remaining flaxseeds.
• Stir granulated sugar, corn syrup, cream oil, brown sugar, and evaporated milk in a pan. Cook the syrup until it becomes dark.
• Remove the pan from heat and add in 1 1⁄2 cups of the flaxseeds.
• Quickly, pour the caramel on the baking pan and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
• Cut into cubes and serve.