Roti is available in every Indian household. It is a part of a staple diet and is had in at least one meal every day. Who knew that we could make numerous dishes using leftover or fresh chapatis.
Here’s a list of all those dishes that you can prepare using chapatis.
1 Savory Flatbread
- Heat a pan and toast the chapatis.
- Brush it with butter and sprinkle with spices like red chili, coriander, turmeric, cumin powder, and salt to taste.
- Toast till the chapatis get crisp.
- Serve with a dip.
2 Masala Roti in Yoghurt Gravy
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a saucepan.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds and 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida, turmeric, one tablespoon of ginger, green chili paste, and five curry leaves.
- Sauté for a minute.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt.
- When it comes to boil, add 5-6 torn rotis.
- Cook on a low flame till the water evaporates.
- Add 1/2 cup yogurt and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
3 Roti Chiwda
- Tear five rotis in small pieces.
- Add water, sugar, salt, and one teaspoon of lemon juice in a bowl and drizzle it over the rotis.
- Make sure that the mixture is combined well with the rotis.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds,1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds, curry leaves, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Add two teaspoons of peanuts and saute till light brown.
- Add chopped onions and sauté till golden-brown.
- Add the roti mixture and mix well.
- Cook for two minutes.
4 Roti Vegetable Stir Fry
- Cut six rotis into small squares.
- Fry them with butter till they turn crispy.
- Heat some oil in a saucepan. Add two chopped onions and sauté till light brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste, four chopped tomatoes, two tablespoons of pav bhaji masala, and vegetables of your choice like potatoes, beans, peas, cauliflower, etc.
- Cook and stir them in between till all the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the fried roti pieces and 100 grams crushed paneer and garam masala.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese.
5 Roti Cutlets with Yogurt Dip
- Tear four rotis into small pieces and grind them to get a rough mixture.
- Add one cup boiled and mashed potatoes, 1/4 cup chopped onions, 1/4 cup grated carrots, two tablespoons sooji, two teaspoons of lemon juice, coriander leaves, salt, and chopped green chilies to a bowl along with roti mixture.
- Mix well and knead like dough. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Make patties with the mixture. Roll them in sooji.
- Add oil to a skillet on medium heat and add cutlets.
- Cook them on both sides until they turn crispy.
- Make a dip with yogurt, salt, and ginger garlic paste.
- Serve hot.
6 Roti cooked in Tomato-Garlic Gravy
- Add one teaspoon of oil in a saucepan. Add four cloves of chopped garlic, curry leaves, and 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
- Let the seeds splutter.
- Add two grated tomatoes, two green chilies, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, one teaspoon coriander powder, salt, and cook till tomatoes are cooked.
- Add one cup water and four torn rotis into the saucepan.
- Cook till the water is dried up and garnish with lemon juice and coriander.
7 Roti with Scrambled Eggs
- Chop one roti into small pieces.
- Beat one egg and add salt.
- Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan.
- Add one cinnamon stick, curry leaves, 1/4 teaspoon of fennel seeds, two green chilies finely chopped, two chopped onions, and sauté on a low flame.
- Add one chopped tomato, salt, two teaspoons of red chili powder, 3/4 teaspoon of cumin powder, 1/4 teaspoon of garam masala, and coriander.
- Saute till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add 1/4 cup of coconut milk.
- Add chopped roti and cook till the roti absorbs the coconut milk. Add the scrambled eggs and coriander leaves and cook for two minutes.
- Serve hot with raita.
8 Roti Payasam
- Heat three rotis in a skillet till they turn crisp. Cut them into small squares.
- Take a cup of chickpeas and cook it in a pressure cooker for three whistles.
- Add a tablespoon of ghee in a skillet and fry cashews and raisins.
- In a saucepan, add two cups of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of jaggery.
- Cook over medium flame until jaggery gets dissolved and you get a thick syrup.
- Add chickpeas and roti to the pan and cook for three minutes.
- Add a cup of coconut milk again, 1/2 cup of cardamom powder, and cook for a minute.
- Add raisins and cashews and stir.
- Serve warm.
9 Roti Porridge
- Bake four rotis in the oven till they get crispy.
- Break them and put in a mixer to get a fine powder.
- Add the ground roti, two cups of milk, two teaspoons of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder, and two tablespoons of honey in a bowl and stir well.
- Cut an apple, a banana, and any other fruits of your choice and add to the porridge.
- Chill until served.
- Garnish with dry fruits.
10 Chapati Chips with Yogurt Dip
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees.
- Cut the roti in small rectangular pieces.
- Brush each piece with olive oil and sprinkle some spices like garam masala and red chili powder.
- Bake for eight minutes till they get crispy.
- To make the yogurt dip, take two cups of plain yogurt, add 1/2 cup grated onions, 1/2 cup chopped cucumber, two chopped tomatoes, two tablespoons of grated carrots, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, and salt to taste.
- Serve the chips with the dip.
11 Roti Lasagna
- Preheat the oven at 190 degrees.
- Place a roti in the baking tin.
- Spread a layer of leftover vegetable or shredded meat.
- Cover with another roti.
- Spread sauce of any choice like tomato ketchup, mustard choice or barbecue sauce, and another layer of vegetable.
- Add another roti and a thick layer of mozzarella cheese over it.
- Repeat the process one more time.
- Bake and serve warm.
12 Chapati Noodles
- Cut six chapatis in thin strips.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add one largely sliced onions and two chopped green chilies.
- Add one largely sliced carrots into the kadhai and cook for five minutes till the carrots are half cooked.
- Add three finely chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy.
- Add salt, one teaspoon coriander powder, one teaspoon chili powder, one teaspoon garam masala powder, and mix well.
- Add one tablespoon of soy sauce and mix.
- Add the pieces of chapati and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
13 Roti Rabri
- Crumble three rotis with your hands.
- Boil two cups of milk in a saucepan.
- Let the milk simmer and add crumbled roti.
- Cook them until the roti soaks the milk, and a thick mixture is formed.
- Add 1/2 cup of condensed milk and mix well.
- Cool it until the consistency like rabri is formed.
- Turn off the flame and add a few drops of vanilla extract.
- Garnish with pistachios.
14 Chapati Ladoo
- Tear six chapatis into small pieces and spread them over a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven at 250 degrees and bake the chapatis for 20 minutes till the chapatis become crispy.
- Grind the chapati and put in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup grated jaggery and five chopped almonds along with roti in a bowl.
- Cook the mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour two tablespoon of ghee in the mixture, sprinkle cardamom powder, and add three tablespoons of milk.
- Mix well and make small ladoos.
15 Roti Tikki
- Break four chapatis in small pieces and grind them to make a grainy mixture.
- Add some vegetables like grated carrots, spinach, capsicum, cabbage, and beans to the mixture.
- Make sure the vegetables are finely chopped.
- Add spices according to your taste.
- Mix all the ingredients and shape them in small cutlets.
- Shallow fry in little oil.
- Serve with your favorite dip.
- Lay the chapati on a clean surface.
- Add any leftover vegetable or meat over the chapati.
- Add cheese and chutney of your choice.
- Fold it in half and cook for ten seconds in the microwave.
- Cut it into triangles and serve hot.
17 Seyal Phulka
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a kadhai and add four cloves of chopped garlic.
- Saute till it changes color. Add curry leaves and mustard seeds.
- Add two grated tomatoes, two chilies, salt to taste, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, and two teaspoon coriander powder.
- Add one and a half cup of water. As soon as the water starts boiling, tear four rotis into bite-sized pieces.
- Add coriander leaves and cook it for 2-3 minutes on medium to low flame.
- Add lemon juice when the rotis have soaked up all the water.
- Serve hot.
18 Chapati Upma
- Tear four rotis into bite-sized pieces.
- Chop one onion, 1/4 capsicum, and two green chilies.
- In a pan, heat one tablespoon of oil.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds and 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
- Add green chilies and onion. Saute till golden brown.
- Add two tablespoon of peanuts and two teaspoons of sesame seeds. Roast till they turn golden brown.
- Add capsicum and sauté for few minutes.
- Add the rotis and mix well.
- Cook in a low flame.
- Garnish with lemon juice and serve hot.
19 Roti Burrito
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and onion. Let it caramelize.
- Add red and yellow bell peppers, season with salt and saute till soft.
- Add Fresh Tomato ketchup, mix well.
- Adjust seasoning, your filling is ready.
- Warm the roti to a moderate temperature.
- Place filling at centre of roti, roll and wrap in a foil paper.
20 Cheesy Cigar
- Take a bowl and add grated four cubes of cheese, two tablespoons of grated paneer, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper powder, 1/4 teaspoon of chili flakes, 1/4 teaspoon of tandoori masala, and salt. Mix well.
- Take one roti and put this mixture over it. Roll it carefully.
- Seal the edges with cornflour paste.
- Roll both the edges in sesame seeds.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and deep fry the cigar until golden brown.
- Serve hot with green chutney.